Watching the Siskin getting pushed out from the feeders by other birds I decided I would make a hide just for them and Goldfinch (Goldfinch are not in numbers yet just singles but fly over regularly).
The area chosen is directly in front of the pond I had dug earlier and eventually I will plant with teasels and the likes to get there attention.
I know its getting late in the year as the Siskin will move on soon to breed elsewhere so its mainly for next year.
Getting it in place so nature can do its best is all I have planned for now until next year when I will set up feeders just for them using Niger seed as most other birds apart from Goldfinch and the occasional Marsh it avoid them so using Niger seeds is quite selective.
Once again just five post sunk in the ground ( one for the door ) and then cladded with either small larch logs or larch planks.
The top back section is there to hold it square until I cut a plank to run horizontal and then run planks front to back with a 4 inch fall.
The shelf again a 14 inch plank all made from trees from the wood and the roof then has 2 layers of thick plastic then a old green tarp to blend it in a bit.
Later I plan to put leaves and small branches which are in the compost bin at the moment on the roof to hide it some more.
Here is me making planks with my Alaskan chainsaw mill.
Around the back and sides I have planted Laurel which will hopefully grow and surround the hide making it disappears from view from the main hide.
Lastly I dug a trench around the side and front to steer water, the trench is deeper than the hide floor and should keep it dry but time will tell.
Here is the finished hide along with some laurels which should grow around it nicely, helping it blend in.
View from other side of pond.
These Leylandi will form the out of focus background later on when they have grown some.